Second opinions are your right as a patient, and many doctors encourage them. Your insurance company or health plan may even require a second opinion for certain conditions or procedures.
Here are some important reasons to seek the opinion of a second doctor:
- You've been diagnosed with a serious illness or condition, or a rare or life-threatening disease.
- You have multiple medical problems and could benefit from easy coordination of care among different specialists.
- Your doctor is recommending major surgery and you are wondering if there are other options.
- You are interested in minimally invasive options that your surgeon cannot provide.
- You want more complete answers to questions you have about your condition.
- A doctor has recommended treatment that has serious potential risks or side effects, or that is excessively expensive, and you need help evaluating alternative approaches.
- Your diagnosis is difficult to pin down, and you need an additional opinion or access to more sophisticated technology to be certain.
- Your current treatment is not working.
You may want to bring the following list of questions to your second opinion consultation:
- Is there any chance that my diagnosis might be different?
- If the second opinion differs from the initial one, what is the reasoning behind the second physician's opinion?
- What alternative treatments are available?
- How long can I put off treatment, and what will happen if I don't pursue treatments?
- What risks or side effects are associated with any recommended treatment?
- How is the treatment plan expected to improve my health or quality of life?
Call us at 1-877-YALEMDS (925-3637) for more about a second opinion consultation.